1,049 Posts
22 Users
93 Likes
154 K Views
ronnie avatar
(@rr)
Prominent Member

Queens man charged for head-butting hate attack on Asian man

A Queens man has been slapped with hate crime charges for head-butting an Asian man in an unprovoked attack, police said Tuesday.

Rudy Coslopez, 41, randomly approached the 22-year-old victim on Steinway St. near 34th Ave. in Astoria on July 12, according to cops.

Coslopez allegedly barked hateful anti-Asian statements at the man before he head-butted him.

The victim’s tooth was chipped in the attack.

Police arrested Coslopez and charged him with assault as a hate crime, aggravated harassment as a hate crime and assault, police said.

He lives in Elmhurst about two miles from where the alleged assault took place, according to cops.

So far this year, 427 people have been the victim of a hate crime, according to the most recent NYPD data. The figure marks an 18.9% uptick compared to the same time frame last year, when 359 hate crimes were logged.

Last month, seven Asian people were the victim of a hate crime — a 40% increase compared to Aug. 2021, when 5 Asian people were attacked, according to the NYPD. Hate crime stats are widely viewed as likely undercounts.

Queens man charged for head-butting hate attack on Asian man (msn.com)

ronnie avatar
(@rr)
Prominent Member

Vandals attack billboards of 3 Asian candidates in New Zealand

https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/z6uADz8hLor8ncxJ3REEqQ--~B/aD00MjU7dz04MDA7YXBwaWQ9eXRhY2h5b24-/https://media.zenfs.com/en/nextshark_articles_509/1c01f1fea4e3bb279a7de49ed302a71 b" alt="" data-src="https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/R0yQHIdlUOzPCJVOMjOUEQ--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTcwNTtoPTM3NTtjZj13ZWJw/ https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/z6uADz8hLor8ncxJ3REEqQ--~B/aD00MjU7dz04MDA7YXBwaWQ9eXRhY2h5b24-/https://media.zenfs.com/en/nextshark_articles_509/1c01f1fea4e3bb279a7de49ed302a71 b" />

Tue, September 6, 2022 at 9:45 AM·3 min read

Three candidates of Asian descent running for a seat in Auckland, New Zealand, were recently targeted by suspects who vandalized campaign billboards with the candidates’ faces.

Paul Young, Howick Ward’s current councilor who is running for a seat again this year, raised concerns to RNZ's news show “Morning Report” after learning that his face on over 20 billboards was either covered with white paint or cut out. The picture of his running mate, Howick Local Board member Bo Burns, has not been targeted by vandals.

"It's very bad for young east Asian or ethnic candidates who want to stand up to make a contribution for our community and Tāmaki Makaurau... such racism, it's not acceptable,” Young said.

Although this is not the first time Young has encountered this type of incident, he considers the most recent attacks to be the worst.

More from NextShark: Arrest warrant issued for man who attacked Filipino family at North Hollywood fast food drive-thru

While running for councilor in 2019, Young discovered that some of his billboards were vandalized with the acronym “CCP” (Communist Party of China), linking him to the current party in China even though he was born in Taiwan.

I have been living here for [the] last 33 years... Aotearoa, New Zealand, is our home – is my home – so it should not happen like this,” Young told "Morning Report."

Vinson Yu, a first-time candidate running for a seat on the Howick Local Board, was disheartened after seeing his billboard defaced along Bucklands Beach.

More from NextShark: Japanese scientist develops TV screen that viewers can lick to taste displayed foods

“I wanted to run for the elections because I want to represent and better serve the Asian community, this deserves respect,” Yu, the deputy chair of the Botany & Flat Bush Ethnic Association, told "Morning Report." “We are fairly participating in the elections.”

Robert Hu, a candidate running for mayor in Auckland, told "Morning Report" that he was also targeted by the vandalism attacks. Hu, who runs the firm Hong Hu Lawyers, said he discovered that his billboards on Somerville Road had been painted over with white paint.

“Are they saying our faces are not white enough? Are they saying that we must be white in order to qualify for the elections?" Hu said, adding that he has already reported the incident to both the police and the Human Rights Commission. He also plans to report it to international groups.

‘Such racism’: Vandals attack billboards of 3 Asian candidates in New Zealand (yahoo.com)

ronnie avatar
(@rr)
Prominent Member

Asian American rally organizer attacked by homeless woman in San Francisco Portola neighborhood

SAN FRANCISCO -- A San Francisco rally organizer said she was hurt in an unprovoked attacked in the Portola neighborhood in broad daylight on September 2nd.

Selena, a San Francisco resident, who prefers to keep her last name private, shared photos of her recovering in the emergency room.

She helped organize a rally to protest a proposed cannabis dispensary at 2490 San Bruno Ave. She said after she wrapped up the community event attended largely by the Chinese community around 10:40 a.m., a woman not affiliated with the rally appeared. 

"She said 'FU' and then she started coming right at me, started pulling my hair and I was trying to pull myself away from her," Selena said. "She ended up grabbing my backpack, the handle on my backpack and she was pulling me closer, and I really felt like I was going to be hurt really badly or die that day."

Selena said two seniors at the rally and a Good Samaritan across the street tried to intervene. Firefighters in a passing fire truck also honked the horn and yelled for the attacked to stop. 

"They tried to block her, she kept on pulling me closer and she got her fists up, and she tried to punch me, but I had the mic in my hand, so I used the mic to block her punch," added Selena. 

Police officers arrived on scene and were able to identify the attacker, who is homeless. She was cited for simple battery, which is a misdemeanor.

Selena said it's unclear what set off the suspect. She said no words were exchanged before the woman grabbed her hair.

"It's very different when you hear it on the news and when it does happen to you, I don't know I was scared," she said. 

Selena said she's dealing with muscle pain and lingering headaches since the attack in early September. 

As she deals with the trauma, she's choosing to stay in more often and doesn't go out with a backpack.

Asian American rally organizer attacked by homeless woman in San Francisco Portola neighborhood (msn.com)

1 Reply
athena
(@athena)

Noble Member

@rr maybe Selena could try the healing power of cannabis.

ronnie avatar
(@rr)
Prominent Member

SEPTA investigating after high schooler injured in 'disgusting unprovoked attack'

SEPTA says it has flooded the system with officers and outreach persons at the height of travel.

Over the past few weeks, two teenage girls have been attacked on the SEPTA subway system without provocation.

PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) -- Over the past few weeks, two teenage girls have been attacked on the subway system without provocation.

Acting SEPTA Police Chief Charles Lawson described one of the incidents as a "disgusting unprovoked attack on a student from Central High School."

SEPTA police say that they have video images of the man responsible. Investigators are working to make an arrest after the 27-year-old man was seen on video attacking two female high school students on SEPTA's system during the morning rush hour.

"The suspect grabs the student by the throat and throws her to the ground and immediately leaves the area," said Lawson.

The attack happened around 7 a.m. on September 9 at the Walnut-Locust Station. Authorities say the 17-year-old female Central High School student was thrown to the ground and choked.

Four days later, a 13-year-old student from Masterman School was attacked at 7:35 a.m. at the City Hall Station.

"The second incident, the suspect gets off the train delivered a couple of strikes to the student on the face and the body area," said Lawton.

SEPTA police are looking into possible hate crime charges.

"The pattern between both victims were they were Asian students. There was no verbalization between the victims and the suspect at all, so it makes it a little harder to pinpoint a specific reason," said Lawton.

SEPTA says it has flooded the system with officers and outreach persons at the height of travel.

"7 to 9 a.m. in addition to that 2 to 5 p.m. during school dismissal and evening rush hour," said Lawton.

Riders say they need more help.

"It's uncomfortable," said Tyche Matthews of West Philadelphia.

"Especially walking around with a baby, it's not safe at all," said Maya of North Philadephia.

SEPTA says in this case, once a warrant is issued they'll be able to make a quick arrest.

As for issues on the system, Lawson says to look for outreach workers in yellow vests for help.

Riders can also use the SEPTA police transit app to report issues. It's a direct connection to dispatch.

SEPTA police investigating attacks on high schoolers at Walnut-Locust Station, City Hall Station - 6abc Philadelphia

2 Replies
athena
(@athena)

Noble Member

@rr systemic racism is the root of the problem.

James avatar
(@james)

Noble Member

@athena anti-blackness is the root of the problem 😆 

josh avatar
1 Reply
James avatar
(@james)

Noble Member

@zexsypmp23 Asiana 4 black lives matter. Where are you tsinoy 😆

Page 135 / 156