25 Posts
3 Users
11 Likes
Prau123 avatar
Topic starter
(@prau123)
Famed Member

Manila has grown from  1920  to  2020.   

Decade by decade vintage pics of the city. 

1920's  - Manila appeared like this a 100 years ago.

Escolta c.1920s (Source: Manila Nostagia)

1930's

Plaza-Goiti-1930s

1940's

1950's

1960's

1970's

1980's

1990's

1990s Boni EDSA (ctto) | Philippines culture, Philippines, Manila  philippines

2000's

2010's

Cityscape of Manila at night

24 Replies
13 Replies
nenabunena
(@nenabunena)

Estimable Member

@prau123

I'm a romanticist, I have a great nostalgia for a time before I was.  It seems more beautiful then but I'm sure if I lived back then, I would be complaining about the same things.  If you watch videos and look at old pictures, many men wore white 3-piece suits in Manila like my grandfather and great-grandparents did.  I can't imagine wearing those suits now, in the humid heat and pollution, it would turn grey quickly I imagine.

Prau123 avatar
(@prau123)

Famed Member

@nenabunena

yes, in some ways I'm glad I wasn't born during those times.  Back in those days men desired to buy 3-piece suits while women dream of wearing a traje de mestiza.  It was the sign of the times and people associated clothing with status and it became the standard for several Filipinos to become one in order to belong to a certain crowd. Culture and lifestyle back then was slow pace and people had a little more time on their hand compared to society today.  I hope Manila could retain some of it's iconic architectures, characteristics and ways of living but for the most part people want to see progress and that's where Manila and several cities in Philippines are heading towards to at the moment. 

nenabunena
(@nenabunena)

Estimable Member

@prau123  I actually dream of wearing a traje de mestiza, I want this to make a comeback.  We're too quick to abandon our traditions and customs, traditional clothes shouldn't be one of them.

Many cultures are able to combine both progress and honoring traditions, it would be nice for Filipinos to do the same.

Prau123 avatar
(@prau123)

Famed Member

@nenabunena

I hope several young females shares your view and possibly will see it come back. 

There's a saying, "What's old is new."  and maybe this type of traditional dress will return to mainstream culture in Philippines. 

Here's a modern take on traje de mestiza.

Seamless mix of modern and timeless classics - SUNSTAR

nenabunena
(@nenabunena)

Estimable Member

@prau123  I like the one in red, actually, the traditional form is already modernized barong at saya.  I like the concept of the one on the left except for the combined prints chosen.

Prau123 avatar
(@prau123)

Famed Member

@nenabunena

The vibrant red is eye-catching and it also has the right amount of floral designs on the skirt (tapis or saya) however the butterfly shoulders are too narrow and unnatural looking.

The one in the left is naturally appealing with a more casual  attitude which suits well on her.  Air breeze flows to her forearms and into her camisa which helps cool her upper arm or upper limb.

nenabunena
(@nenabunena)

Estimable Member

@prau123. Haha, I guess we have diff tastes in clothes!  Smile

Prau123 avatar
(@prau123)

Famed Member

@nenabunena

Men prefer to see a women wearing clothes that's more down to earth and reflects todays culture and society.  

nenabunena
(@nenabunena)

Estimable Member

@prau123  IDK, I imagine men are like women, they have different tastes and are varied themselves. Smile

Prau123 avatar
(@prau123)

Famed Member

@nenabunena

I do get the impression that the younger generation females would prefer a less elaborate version of the traditional traje de mestiza. 

Prau123 avatar
(@prau123)

Famed Member

@nenabunena

I agree people do have different taste however what's your preference when it comes to traje de mestiza?

nenabunena
(@nenabunena)

Estimable Member

@prau123. I like clothes that are classic, meaning they will be considered beautiful now, then, and in the future.  I don't like flavor of the month fashions, take for example those 80s fashion, compare them to fashion from the 20s-50s.  I like the red, because it is conservative in its color combination and is more traditional, of course it's not an everyday outfit, it's more formal.  I like the one to the left but not the different patterns used in combination.  The colors are loud enough as it is and to have 2 clashing loud patterns and colors together is a no no to me.

You did ask a girl about fashion?  Lol, you got a nobela instead!

Prau123 avatar
(@prau123)

Famed Member

@nenabunena

I like clothes that are classic, meaning they will be considered beautiful now, then, and in the future.  I don't like flavor of the month fashions, take for example those 80s fashion, compare them to fashion from the 20s-50s. 

Sounds as if you prefer clothes that are made famous in movie cinemas.  I've only seen a Filipina wear traje de mestiza once and she portrayed herself as a timeless classic and iconic women of the 1920's. 

take for example those 80s fashion, compare them to fashion from the 20s-50s.

I guess fashion comes around in cycles.  80's reminds me of 50's pop-culture.

I like the red, because it is conservative in its color combination and is more traditional, of course it's not an everyday outfit, it's more formal.

They only wear those on special occasions.  Definitely one fashionable outfit that they'll never throw away or give away and they are well kept in a closet wrapped around with plastic.  It always appears brand new as if they were never been worn before. 

I like the one to the left but not the different patterns used in combination.  The colors are loud enough as it is and to have 2 clashing loud patterns and colors together is a no no to me.

It does suit well on a younger women and she could probably where this almost anywhere in public and everyday however it does make her stand out compared to the women around her.

You did ask a girl about fashion?  Lol, you got a nobela instead!

I was expecting that however when you mentioned 3 piece suits in a earlier post then I had to mention traje de mestiza.

Antipolo
(@jun)
Reputable Member

looks beautiful

10 Replies
Prau123 avatar
(@prau123)

Famed Member

@jun

However the government should try to maintain it and also reduce the traffic and smog. 

Antipolo
(@jun)

Reputable Member

@prau123

more roads and color codes. 

Prau123 avatar
(@prau123)

Famed Member

@jun

Definitely more roads.  Manila is one of the most dense populated cities in the world.   More freeways and highways should be built also.

On January 17th the public-works minister announced that by the time President Rodrigo Duterte leaves office in 2022, he wants to have cut the number of cars that pass along the city’s main artery each day by a third.

https://www.economist.com/asia/2020/01/25/the-philippines-a-country-with-dreadful-traffic-may-start-to-unclog

Antipolo
(@jun)

Reputable Member

@prau123

that's hard to do specialty in large urban area with a large population. 

Prau123 avatar
(@prau123)

Famed Member

@jun

Government has to actually buy off those lands filled with old houses and building and then construct the roads and highways. 

They are expanding Manila but they should consider building more roads and wider roads instead of putting more houses and commercial buildings in those new developed areas.

Antipolo
(@jun)

Reputable Member

@prau123

actually, it's happening already little by little. 

Prau123 avatar
(@prau123)

Famed Member

@jun

Skyways saves a lot of time during traffic.  

Antipolo
(@jun)

Reputable Member

@prau12

exactly

Prau123 avatar
(@prau123)

Famed Member

@jun

Also it's actually worth paying the toll road price to drive on a skyway. 

Prau123 avatar
(@prau123)

Famed Member

@jun

Highways, Subways, Railways are scheduled to open in 2020 - 2021.