Tags
Tab Item Content
Join Us!
Archives Meta
164 Senators really...

Notifications
Clear all

164 Senators really just voted against condemning anti-chinese racism...

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
josh avatar
Registered
Topic starter
(@zexsypmp23)
7ucl4i9x8sn51
4 Replies
1 Reply
SonsOfOdin
(@sonsofodin)

Noble Member

@rambo

where's the link? 

josh avatar
Registered
Topic starter
(@zexsypmp23)

I did some further reading on the issue. The resolution to "Condemn and Denounce anti-asian sentiment, racism, discrimination, and religious intolerance related to covid-19" is a non-binding resolution to have all public officials condemn and denounce anti-Asian sentiments, and calls on federal law enforcement to investigate and document credible reports of hate crimes against Asian-Americans and hold perpetrators to account. It looks like this became a partisan issue when the democrats began to single out language used by the president, which the republicans began to defend.

The republicans' given reason for opposing the bill is that this was "partisan posturing" and that the democrats misplaced their priorities by bringing a nonbinding resolution to the floor when Congress has yet to come to a consensus on a coronavirus relief bill or government funding legislation.

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy called the resolution a "diversion," and said "there is no kitchen in America that thinks this is the priority." He also stated, "At the heart of this resolution is the absurd notion that referring to the virus as a Wuhan virus or the China virus is the same as contributing to violence against Asian-Americans, which I will tell you nobody on this side of the aisle supports. What makes today's resolution is that it does not stop discrimination. It simply spreads disinformation."

lol

Lannie avatar
(@meleona)

I don't get it, is there something wrong with the proposal? 

ASIANS 4 BLACK LIVES MATTER 黑人的命也是命 avatar
(@naval)
Famed Member

How can Chinese expect others to support them in this case, if the Chinese Community don't support Black lives Matter?